Florida foster care and adoption guidelines
We are pleased that you are interested in fostering or adoption. For information, interested families in Florida can call the Adoption Information Center at 800-96-ADOPT (800-962-3678).
Contact: Bob Rooks
Phone: 904-353-0679 or 1-800-96-ADOPT (800-962-3678)
On this page:
- Foster and adoption licensing requirements
- Costs to foster and adopt
- Agency contact and orientation information
- Parent support groups
- Information on Florida's children
Requirements for foster and adoptive parents include a Model Approach to Partnership in Parenting course, or the PRIDE (Parent Resource for Information Development and Education) Training.
- Prospective foster parents complete a licensing study to become licensed to become foster parents.
- Prospective adoptive parents complete a homestudy to be licensed to adopt.
- The typical time frame is six to eight months for the entire process.
If a family is working with a community-based care agency, there is no cost to foster or adopt. Please call us (800-962-3678) to ask about finding a community-based care agency.
At Adoption Information Center, we can help you to find your local community-based care agency through the Department of Children and Families.
Please call 1-800-96-ADOPT (800-962-3678) for the agency nearest you.
Please call 1-800-96-ADOPT (800-962-3678) to find local parent support groups.
There are about 19,000 children in foster care in Florida. About 600 of children waiting for permanent placement are without identified families.