For the media
Connecting children and families
AdoptUSKids is a project funded by the US Children’s Bureau to raise awareness of the need for foster and adoptive families and support the efforts of states, tribes, and territories to find families for children and youth in foster care.
We offer the country’s most comprehensive free photolisting of children in foster care who are awaiting adoption. Families who register on adoptuskids.org can search for children based on criteria including age, gender, location, and conditions, and read detailed narratives describing their interests and needs. These families also post their own profiles, which can then be searched and viewed by caseworkers searching for families for children.
There are more than 5,000 children and 2,500 families registered on adoptuskids.org.
Read more about AdoptUSKids.
National adoption recruitment campaign: “You can’t imagine the reward”
The US Children’s Bureau, AdoptUSKids, and the Ad Council work in partnership to create a national multimedia public service advertising campaign each year that raises awareness about the need for foster and adoptive families.
This year’s multimedia campaign includes videos, radio, digital, and print ads that showcase the many moments that make adopting a teen rewarding and highlights the stories of families who have adopted from foster care. Each PSA ends with “You can’t imagine the reward. Thousands of teens in foster care are ready to make an impact on your life,” reminding prospective parents that teens in foster care can help them grow in unexpected ways.
This annual campaign is now in its fifteenth year.
Donate media space
Lending donated media space to this awareness campaign will help us find adoptive families for the children and youth who need the support and stability of a permanent family. Contact Brendan Creamer at The Ad Council.
Request a customized PSA for local distribution
Find and access localized PSAs for your area on PSA Central. Refine your search by filtering for specific asset types, your designated market area, and your state on the left-hand side of the page.
Meet our experts
Bob Herne, national project director, AdoptUSKids
Bob has over 30 years of experience in the field of human services. Before joining AdoptUSKids, he most recently served as CEO of Sierra Forever Families in Sacramento, CA.
Bob has a master’s degree in social work and is nationally recognized for his work in the youth permanency movement. He has taught at the Catholic University of America and is a 2013 recipient of the North American Council on Adoptable Children’s Adoption Activist Award.
Volunteer speakers bureau
AdoptUSKids identifies and prepares families, youth, and professionals throughout the country to share their stories, experience, perspectives, and knowledge of adoption and foster care at public events and with the media. Read some of our families’ and young people’s stories on our blog.
Contact our national campaign director to request information or an interview.
In the news
- Scary Mommy blog post and video: "This Mom Adopted a Teen and It Changed Everyone’s Lives for the Better" (November 2019)
- People reports on AdoptUSKids’ new public service ads and the number of teens in foster care who are waiting for families. (November 2019)
- Fox 7 Austin story features AdoptUSKids National Project Director Bob Hearne and a young man who was adopted as a teen. (October 2019)
- AARP Bulletin story about older adults who adopt teens features two AdoptUSKids spokesfamilies. (April/May 2018)
- Inside Edition story, “Young, Single Dad Adopts 3 Sons: 'There Are No Days Off',” profiles a father who found his third son on the AdoptUSKids website. (December 2017)
- New York Times Well Family article, “Adoption and the Single Guy,” features an interview with National Project Director Kathy Ledesma. (November 2017)