North Dakota post-adoption support
Below are post-adoption support services available to families who live in North Dakota. Services may not be available in all areas and/or may be dependent upon the circumstances of the placement. Please check with your post-adoption services provider about the availability of specific post-adoption or guardianship support services for your family. You can also visit Child Welfare Information Gateway for information on Adoption and Guardianship Assistance, as well as additional information on post-adoption support.
On this page:
What services are available?
In North Dakota, adoptive families have access to the following services through a post-adoption support program:
- Information (websites, fact sheets, articles, etc.): Lending library, Facebook page
- Referral to services
- Training/other development: Offer educational programs; families can receive financial support to attend other training
- Birth family mediation: Support workers can assist families in navigating birth family relationships
- Peer support for parents: Support groups are available in Fargo, Wahpeton, Grand Forks, Devils Lake, Bismarck, Minot, Williston, and Dickinson
- Mentoring for parents
- Educational support: Support workers can attend IEP and other school meetings
- Respite care: Hold respite events; families can receive financial support to pay for respite care
- Camps, retreats, or other events: Hold summer camps and a winter retreat for families
- Financial/material support: Families can receive financial support to attention training and/or for respite care
- Crisis intervention: Support workers respond to crises
Who is eligible for these services?
- Families who have adopted from the state’s foster care system
- Families who have adopted from another state’s foster care system
- Families who have adopted internationally or privately
- Families who have guardianship of a child from foster care
Who provides these services?
The North Dakota Department of Human Services contracts with Catholic Charities ND to offer the North Dakota Post-Adoption Network. Post Adopt Coordinators provide a wide range of support to adoptive and guardianship families and services are available statewide.
Below are support groups for adoptive, kinship, and foster families. Support groups may be offered as part of a state’s post-adoption/guardianship support program, through a statewide or regional foster or adoptive parent association, through specific agencies, or may be run independently. If we have additional information about the group’s purpose or the community served, it’s provided under the group’s contact information.
To add a group or make a suggestion, email the AdoptUSKids family support team.
Jamestown Area Foster/Adopt Support Team
Red River Foster & Adopt Coalition