For the media
Connecting children and families
AdoptUSKids is a project funded by the US Children’s Bureau to raise awareness of the need for foster and adoptive families and support the efforts of states, tribes, and territories to find families for children and youth in foster care.
We offer the country’s most comprehensive free photolisting of children in foster care who are awaiting adoption. Families who register on adoptuskids.org can search for children based on criteria including age, gender, location, and conditions, and read detailed narratives describing their interests and needs. These families also post their own profiles, which can then be searched and viewed by caseworkers searching for families for children.
There are more than 5,000 children and nearly 2,500 families registered on adoptuskids.org.
Read more about AdoptUSKids.
National adoption recruitment campaign
“You don’t need to be perfect to be a perfect parent”
The US Children’s Bureau, AdoptUSKids, and the Ad Council work in partnership to create a national multimedia public service advertising campaign each year that raises awareness about the need for foster and adoptive families.
Built around the theme "You don’t have to be perfect to be a perfect parent," this campaign uses humor to illustrate that youth in foster care don’t need perfection; they need the commitment and love a permanent adoptive family can provide.
This annual campaign is now in its eleventh year.
Learn how to expand the reach the of the campaign by donating media space or requesting a customized ad for local distribution.
Meet our experts
Kathy Ledesma, national project director, AdoptUSKids
Kathy Ledesma is the national project director for AdoptUSKids. She has been working in the field of adoption since 1972, having served as a caseworker, as the statewide adoption manager for Oregon, and as acting national adoption specialist for the Children's Bureau, among many other positions. She is a 2015 recipient of the Adoption Excellence Award.
Kathy has a master’s degree in social work and is fluent in Spanish.
Volunteer speakers bureau
AdoptUSKids identifies and prepares families, youth, and professionals throughout the country to share their stories, experience, perspectives, and knowledge of adoption and foster care at public events and with the media. Read some of our families’ and young people’s stories on our website.
Contact our communications and marketing director to request information or an interview.
In the news
Recent press release
- “National Adoption Campaign Launches New PSAs to Raise Awareness of the 108,000 Children Awaiting Adoption and the Need to Adopt Older Youth from Foster Care”
- People magazine story about a celebrity adopting from foster care includes an interview with AdoptUSKids National Project Director Kathy Ledesma answering the “big questions” about adoption. (December 2015)
- WJLA Washington, DC, morning show features AdoptUSKids National Project Director Kathy Ledesma and a young man who was adopted from foster care discussing the need for families for teens. (November 2015)
- WBFF (FOX) Baltimore, MD, a morning show features AdoptUSKids National Project Director Kathy Ledesma and a mother who adopted a teen from foster care. (November 2015)
- USA Today guest column, "Holidays look different with a family," authored by AdoptUSKids National Project Director Kathy Ledesma, describes the difference being adopted can make for teens in foster care. (November 2015)
- Washington Post article, “Adoption—You don’t have to be perfect to be a perfect parent,” features interview with National Project Director Kathy Ledesma and a family who adopted from foster care. (November 2014)
- “Foster Care Explained.” Parents.com article features interview with National Project Director Kathy Ledesma. (October 2013)
Learn more about adoption from foster care
- Read an introduction to adoption from foster care and answers to some frequently asked questions.
- Find national and state statistics about foster care and adoption in reports issued by the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS).
- Read an AdoptUSKids report describing family perspectives on the barriers and success factors in adoption from foster care (2 MB PDF).
- Find resources for professionals and families at the Child Welfare Information Gateway website.
- Access information about state adoption laws and national and state statistics on foster care in the “for the press” section of the US Children’s Bureau website.
- Visit our Facebook page—an active community of more than 160,000 families discussing adoption from foster care—and follow our popular Twitter channel.